Advertise Here
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 am 
Hi,

Just sold my 2008 Yamaha Vino 125 with almost 8,000 miles which I originally purchased from Hanover Powersports in NJ. I loved that scooter but sold it because even living in NJ I can only store one bike, my wife started going places with me on it and always complained that she did not have enough room, I outgrew the limited power, and I was just ready for something new.

My requirements for a new scooter are to make up where the Vino125 left off: room for 2 riders, larger wheels, fuel injection, more power, and new (new leftover models are good too). My budget is open in that I can purchase a Vespa but probably do not want one for the same reasons I originally purchased the Vino over a Vespa 150 - do not care about the retro look and do not want to pay extra for it. I also need something with a lower standover - the Genuine Blur is just a bit too tall. The scooter will be used for the 2 mile round trip to the train station every day, light shopping trips (wholefoods, cvs, etc.), and for longer (50 mile) fun rides on the weekends - all backroads in NJ. This will be my last scooter unless I move up to a motorcycle in a few years, but doubtful that my wife will be "ok with a motorcycle".

I was thinking of a 250cc from Piaggio, Kymco, Sym but called the insurance company and they said if I never plan to go on the highway (which I have not and probably never will) I should stay at 200cc or less because insurance really jumps when you go over 200cc ($300 jump on an annual policy).

The closest dealers in order are: Scooters Originali (3 miles), Motorcycle Mall (10 miles), Hanover Powersports Honda/Yamaha (11 miles), Metuchen Honda/Vespa (21 miles), and Metro Scooter (33 miles). Soho Vespa (17 miles) might be a good option because I work in the city but I would have to traverse the Hudson river and go to Brooklyn for service which does not make me happy.

I plan to do all the service where I purchase the scooter so a good dealer is as important as what scooter to purchase.

I would really appreciate any real world experience with scooters that fit my requirements and/or knowledge of service at local dealers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): 1966 Bajaj 150
Piaggio BV gets my vote

large wheels, disc brakes, nice rider and passenger seats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:46 am 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS (4Sale), P200e, 70's Orange P125x BMW K1200RS, 07 Harley Sportster.
zeno wrote:
Piaggio BV gets my vote

large wheels, disc brakes, nice rider and passenger seats.

+1 or anything 250cc if you plan on going highways (like the turnpike, 78, 287 and the parkway) and keeping up with traffic. BTW, the new BV350 (?) is coming out soon. As for Dealers, I have dealt with both Metuchen and Metro scooters and both and excellent! Double check on insurance rates since I do not think a <500cc scooter will be that much more than a <200cc.

Used and leftovers can be had at fairly good prices, check with both Metuchen and Metro for both or look around for a good used one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:13 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250ie
I'd also check with other insurance companies if they have the same rules for over 200 cc. Never hard of that before. Thom on the board is a great person to discuss/obtain insurance quotes.

http://www.metaphotography.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:15 pm 
150cc Daily Rider

Scooter Model(s): current ride, ahh, the choices!
I see no reason to always go back for service to the dealer you purchased from. We service hundreds of scooters purchased else where and provide the same level of service we do for people who purchased from us.

Sounds like the Piaggio BV 250 would suit your needs. I have a non-current 2010 model arriving this week. Nice savings over MSRP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:08 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
BV 250 is a good choice, obviously not cheap since it is a Piaggio/Vespa.

Take a look at the SYM HD 200. Great scoot, but not the best for highway riding. Does about 73 MPH, but is more agile in the City.

Also take a look at KYMCO. They make some 200cc class scooters.

Both SYM and KYMCO will be a lot cheaper than Piaggio and way faster than the last scooter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm 
750cc Scooter Warrior

Scooter Model(s): Was a Red Thing now it's a Grey/Blue thing.
Check out the Kymco Downtown 200 & 300i. I had the Kymco Yager GT 200i and found it to be a great machine but the displacement is actually 174cc' where the other 2 are actual 200 & 300cc class machines.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Scarabeo 500, Triumph Bonneville; BMW R1200GS
Bought a new SYM HD200 in 08 with a give top case. Love it and highly recommend it. Practical, comfortable for 2, decent power and reliable. The big wheels make a huge difference. Check Progressive for insurance. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 am 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): kymco super8 150
call rider ins . your company sounds crazy , a 300 dollar jump , the whole policy shouldn,t be that much

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 pm 
I use Progressive - they were the ones who stated that when you go above 200cc prices really jump.

I also max out all coverage: medical, uninsured motorist, etc.
Lots of assets to cover and my bodily parts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:00 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Kymco Yager 200i, Vespa GTS 250 (two)
Progressive charges me $497 per year total for full coverage on two Vespas (244cc) and one Kymco Yager (174cc but it's listed as a 200cc on my policy). I get discounts for multi-scooters, paying in full, being claim free for a few years, but the biggest seems to be because I am a homeowner (even though not insured by Progressive). Not sure why the big surcharge for you if you go over 200cc.

Coincidentally, I just sold my remaining Vino 125 on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): None (yet)
Where do you guys get the SYM scooters? I'm in NYC and don't see a dealer for new SYM scooters in the area. Definitely intrigued by the HD200

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
IKSRTFO wrote:
Where do you guys get the SYM scooters? I'm in NYC and don't see a dealer for new SYM scooters in the area. Definitely intrigued by the HD200

Jimmy at Zoom WAS a SYM dealer, I don't know if he re-upped since they changed distributors. But I am pretty sure he can get you whatever you need, and he is GREAT for service

http://www.zoomscooternyc.com/Site/Home.html