Advertise Here
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Only post questions involving engines, mods, stuff that requires wrenches, specialized tools or would otherwise interest grease monkeys here please. Questions about top cases, mirrors, seats and other accessories, tires, etc. will be moved to Open Discussion.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:09 pm 
Offline
Account Disabled at User's Request
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:57 am
Posts: 506
Location: Long Island, NY
Scooter Model(s): Various 2 wheeled devices.
Please dont refer me to one of the many "this lock is the best" posts.

None of the posts specifically say HOW to attach a lock AND chain to a Classic Vespa or a Stella. I can buy any lock, but if I cant attach it it to my scoot it is worthless. The Vintage/Classic Scooter design doesnt lend itself very well to chains and locks. No loops or room. BTW The Fagetabout lock sucks, I have 2 broken ones already. The chain is cool, but I have no place to attach it.

My Stella...
Right now I depress the foot brake and slip a lock underneath, holding in the depressed position, on my Stella, but this does not give me the room to then add a chain, so I can lock it to something.

My Allstate...
Has no Headset Lock and is too messed up to put one on. I have no way to lock it up.

I figure you city slickers may have some ideas! :wink:

_________________
SCOOT ON...
The Hornets Long Island Scooter Club Of New York
WEB:http://www.longislandscooterclub.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LongIslandScooterClub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:26 pm 
Offline
150cc Daily Rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:02 pm
Posts: 161
Location: East Village
Scooter Model(s): Vespa PX-150
Just carry one of these with you at all times and you should have no problem!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: lock it up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:45 pm 
Offline
Artist-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 am
Posts: 946
Location: Nanuet, NY
Scooter Model(s): *
On a Stella, use a Kryptonite disc lock around the front fork. There's enough room between the fork and the shock for the disc lock to loop right around the fork, and one end of a NY Noose chain link fits in the lock (I don't think there's room for more than one link, so you'll need the Noose -- or a second lock to lock the other end of the chain to itself).

On an Allstate the spring is too close to the fork to get a disc lock around it without some force to push the spring out of the way, so for that use a larger Kryptonite U lock looped around both the spring and fork. Plenty of room left for any type of chain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:49 pm 
Offline
1000cc Scooter Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:37 pm
Posts: 1276
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Scooter Model(s): Lambretta DL200, Lambretta Ser2 TV, Vespa GTS
The Hornets LISC wrote:
Please dont refer me to one of the many "this lock is the best" posts.

None of the posts specifically say HOW to attach a lock AND chain to a Classic Vespa or a Stella. I can buy any lock, but if I cant attach it it to my scoot it is worthless. The Vintage/Classic Scooter design doesnt lend itself very well to chains and locks. No loops or room. BTW The Fagetabout lock sucks, I have 2 broken ones already. The chain is cool, but I have no place to attach it.

My Stella...
Right now I depress the foot brake and slip a lock underneath, holding in the depressed position, on my Stella, but this does not give me the room to then add a chain, so I can lock it to something.

My Allstate...
Has no Headset Lock and is too messed up to put one on. I have no way to lock it up.

I figure you city slickers may have some ideas! :wink:


I think Stian has had this in his FAQ for 5 or 6 years.

http://www.iscootny.com/scooter_stuff/scoot_lock.htm

Andrea

_________________
"Just pay the parking ticket. Don't be so outraged. You're not a freedom fighter in the civil rights movement. You double parked." Justin's dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
Offline
Account Disabled at User's Request
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:57 am
Posts: 506
Location: Long Island, NY
Scooter Model(s): Various 2 wheeled devices.
I have seen it for years as well...

It is shown on a Lambretta. :cry:

Which has a very different fork design than a classic Vespa. :!:

So...

How EXACTALLY do you lock up a VESPA/Stella of Classic design? :?:

_________________
SCOOT ON...
The Hornets Long Island Scooter Club Of New York
WEB:http://www.longislandscooterclub.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LongIslandScooterClub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: errr...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:54 pm 
Offline
Artist-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 am
Posts: 946
Location: Nanuet, NY
Scooter Model(s): *
The Hornets LISC wrote:
It is shown on a Lambretta. :cry:

Which has a very different fork design than a classic Vespa.

In fact, the Stella can be locked in exactly the same manner as the Lambretta Andrea linked to, as detailed in the message above hers. The Allstate is the same concept, but you will need a larger lock (i.e. a U-lock) that fits around both the fork and spring. Again, as detailed above.

Quote:
How EXACTALLY do you lock up a VESPA/Stella of Classic design? :?:

See the message immediately preceding Andrea's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: errr...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:53 pm 
Offline
1000cc Scooter Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:37 pm
Posts: 1276
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Scooter Model(s): Lambretta DL200, Lambretta Ser2 TV, Vespa GTS
plutjen wrote:
See the message immediately preceding Andrea's.


Yup, you beat me to the punch, Peter ;)

It actually made me giggle after I went back and read the posts.

Andrea

_________________
"Just pay the parking ticket. Don't be so outraged. You're not a freedom fighter in the civil rights movement. You double parked." Justin's dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:05 pm 
Offline
Account Disabled at User's Request
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:57 am
Posts: 506
Location: Long Island, NY
Scooter Model(s): Various 2 wheeled devices.
Well... I didnt get an awnser, but at least I made ya giggle. :roll:

I first visited that page before the turn of the century. It wasnt all that helpfull then, now that page is way out of date or relevent (except to lammy owners with old locks) and does not apply or give specific or current information about specific locks, chains or technique. to use on a VESPA. :?

I have also tried to adapt that technique and it does not work. I know because I have tried. It is still the same page... :oops:

Maybe, just maybe, since the late 1990's somebody else has come up with something that is better and actually is applicable to something else besides a lammy... :idea:

There is ZERO clearance on either Vespa fork to wrap any thing around anything in that manner at all - and the hand brake idea thing doesnt seem to be very secure or any better than locking down the foot brake. :|

But if I ever need to lock up a Lammy with 8 year old suggestions, that will be my first stop. :wink:

That made me giggle! :lol:

_________________
SCOOT ON...
The Hornets Long Island Scooter Club Of New York
WEB:http://www.longislandscooterclub.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LongIslandScooterClub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:01 pm 
Offline
1000cc Scooter Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:13 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: New Paltz NY
Seems to work for me, right around the fork with a u lock on my VESPA. Maybe your reading it wrong. :|

_________________
http://www.pirateupholstery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:19 pm 
Offline
4000cc Scooter Titan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:27 pm
Posts: 4558
Location: New Jersey - where we aren't frivolously ticketed
Scooter Model(s): Vespa S150, Lambretta Jet 200, Vespa Primavera
oh! you were looking for an awnser...you got answers...I'm so sorryâ„¢

_________________
-Franky
http://usualsuspectssc.com/
"I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." -Pat Paulson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: you've got to be kidding
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:06 am 
Offline
Artist-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 am
Posts: 946
Location: Nanuet, NY
Scooter Model(s): *
The Hornets LISC wrote:
Well... I didnt get an awnser, but at least I made ya giggle...

You've got to be kidding. Marbles, I own both a Stella and an Allstate, the exact models you asked about, and I've been securely locking them on the streets of NY for years in precisely the manner I described in some detail. Did you even read the post?

Here it is again, in case you ignored it the first time:
Quote:
On a Stella, use a Kryptonite disc lock around the front fork. There's enough room between the fork and the shock for the disc lock to loop right around the fork, and one end of a NY Noose chain link fits in the lock (I don't think there's room for more than one link, so you'll need the Noose -- or a second lock to lock the other end of the chain to itself).

On an Allstate the spring is too close to the fork to get a disc lock around it without some force to push the spring out of the way, so for that use a larger Kryptonite U lock looped around both the spring and fork. Plenty of room left for any type of chain.


The Hornets LISC wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, since the late 1990's somebody else has come up with something that is better and actually is applicable to something else besides a lammy...

Yes, the picture Andrea linked to shows a Lambretta, but it works the SAME WAY on a Stella, and with a bigger lock on an Allstate as well. I'm not speculating; I have those bikes and that's how I (and plenty of others I've seen) do it. What more of an answer can you be looking for?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: spoonfeeding
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm 
Offline
Artist-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 am
Posts: 946
Location: Nanuet, NY
Scooter Model(s): *
Now with photos:

Allstate
Image

Stella
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000-2012 phpBB Group | Terms of use | Privacy policy | Return to the New York Scooter Club home page