Advertise Here
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:51 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
I'd like to brush up my skills, both on the scooter and motorcycle. Haven't driven a motorcycle in many years. Can you point me to a good and reputable school, please.

Trama has been suggested by my local shop, but a search here and elsewhere turned up a bunch of posts about waiting for courses to materialize, deposit problems and such. No recent posts though. Is this still an issue and are they worth the aggravation alluded to in older posts?

I used Ferrari before buying my scooter and wasn't impressed. Never saw the instructor during a 2 hour group "practice" session. I guess they thought I knew what I was doing since I already had a license. But I won't go back to them.

I'm in Nassau and am primarily interested in advanced handling skills and shifting, so maybe a private lesson is more suitable than a full group class. Either way, I want someone competent and certified to teach.

Thanks in advance
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:25 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): two Honda Sprees
Do you have MSF courses in your county? I took mine in Rochester NY and it was the best investment I could do for my motorcycle license. I took the basic course ($240) and the advance course ($120).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:31 am 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa S150
I know they're not near you but I had very good experiences at Ride MSS in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I only had private lessons there and found them to be excellent and affordable. My instructors were Tina and Julio.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:35 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): none yet
+1 on mss / been to several schools / mss very professional

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:12 am 
Poster Child

Has anyone used Trama lately?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 300 Super ("Wesley")
I just finished the MSF Basic Rider Course with Big Apple Motorcycle School this week-end. I'm a scooter rider myself, but the motorcycle course was very informative and the staff that teach the course are friendly and knowledgeable. They teach the course over at Dowling College in Oakdale. I believe they offer one-on-one courses as well. They mentioned that lots of people are signing up for their courses this year and there's a couple month wait for their BRC course, not sure about other classes though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:41 am 
BlockParty Planner

Scooter Model(s): Suzuki & Honda.
Bobonli wrote:
Has anyone used Trama lately?

My wife just finished yesterday her MSF course with TRAMA at the Queens Community College location. They are great people, very knowledgeable, with good motorcycles (250 c.c. and 125 c.c.) and Honda Elite 150 c.c. scooters as well. I took this same class back in 1990, and I see that the quality of the training is as high as back then. We did not have any problems with scheduling the course, there were two qualified instructors with the group all the time, and sometimes a third one arrived to give them a hand with the exercises. Just make sure you do your part since they won't give you a passing mark if you do not earn it. Two of the students fail the road test since they dropped the motorcycles, and one quit since he decided he was not ready to ride motorcycles yet and asked them to give him private lessons instead.

2007 Suzuki Burgman Executive 650 c.c.
1987 Honda Helix 250 c.c.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm 
Poster Child

Thank you for answering my question n

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:59 pm 
BlockParty Planner

Scooter Model(s): Suzuki & Honda.
Bobonli wrote:
Thank you for answering my question n

My pleasure!!! 8)

2007 Suzuki Burgman Executive 650 c.c.
1987 Honda Helix 250 c.c.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:04 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): 2009 Genuine Stella
I got my license and road test sign off through Trama back in 2001. They were wonderful. Very helpful to a new rider and constructive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:29 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Triumph Bonneville SE
I did the BRC at Trama. Word on the street is that they are more "hardcore" than MSS. But it's the exact same course. MSS graduates I spoke to said it was intense, but a great time... my Trama experience was, well - I would say that one of my instructors had some anger management issues. Made it a less than joyful experience for me. But I had a lot of riders tell me that they are the way to go. Either way, you can't lose. Good thing to do!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 pm 
Poster Child

Thanks everyone. I found someone close to me, based on my local shop's suggestion: Cycle Guru.

I haven't scheduled anything yet but my preliminary conversation was wonderful and I doubt there will be any anger management issues! MSF-credentialed instructor, in Nassau County offering a host of services. Seems like a perfect match for me.